Sunday, April 08, 2007

The Search for More

Why, when we are convinced that our lives are full of meaning, do we continue to search for more?
I'm happy with my life. I have a wonderful marriage, Christ fulfills all my spiritual needs, I have a well-paying job, and I have a good education. So, what remains?

Apparently, a lot. I want to honor God more. While that is seemingly a desirable goal, it feels pointless at times.

I want my marriage to be ever-better. While a good goal in itself, it is again endless.

I want to learn more, but I will never know everything. If I wanted to know everything there was to know about even the word "chair," I could try but never finish.

So if all I can do is try, is it pointless? If I can start but never finish, what is the purpose?

I suppose the purpose is the journey. Life never ends. The journey continues. It's not pointless, just endless. It is all God-honoring.

So, I keep trying, learning, growing, improving, never finishing, but never stopping.

Maybe I've been reading too much Ecclesiastes.


del.icio.us - Digg it - Yahoo MyWeb - Google - StumbleUpon

1 comment:

  1. I totally feel you. Life is a journey in which you never stop learning so keep going. Im flipping through your blog and i like what im reading so keep it up. But i especially like the fact that you're a part of God's Kingdom because i think that's the most important decision any human being can ever make. Im also quite surprised that you're only 20 and already married! In my country,(Im Kenyan) that's a very unlikey thing. I would have liked to donate to your school fund but i can't coz of distance and us guys dont have paypal services so instead i'l just pray that God blesses you in a way that will exceed your wildest imagination.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep all comments civil, and avoid irrelevant advertising.

Posts on specific topics:
Politics--Bible--College--Teaching