Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Spirit of Fear

Today I told my seventh grade class a story from my life.

When I was a wee buck, I was terrified of the wind. It wasn't necessarily storms, rain, clouds, lightning, or anything else. However, if wind was involved, I cowered in fear. In classrooms, I would intentionally sit in seats where I could not see out the window, so if the wind was bad enough, I couldn't tell.

The reason for my great fear of wind was tornadoes, of which I have seen a few from growing up in Oklahoma and Kansas.

This became enough of a consistent issue, that my dad noticed and gave me some advice. He had me memorize 2 Timothy 1:7, "God has not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of power, a spirit of love, and a sound mind."

He told me that my fear was not from God. He reminded me of God's protection, and that God had given me a mind with confidence. Power, love, and a sound (or disciplined) mind were mine to claim.

It really did get easier to trust God every time after that. The wind still scares me a little, but now I know to trust God for my protection and not be so afraid.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! I love that verse! I used to be terrified and fascinated all the same of tornadoes. We had a few in Washington when I was in middle school and I remember freaking out about it. Did you take the picture? It's pretty cool. Hope you're doing well! Glad to be reading you blog! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. Sorry, the picture's not mine, but it reminds me of some memories I have. I've seen 3 full-fledged tornadoes in my life: Catoosa , OK; Broken Arrow, OK; and one time on a road trip (to Arkansas I think).

    ReplyDelete

Please keep all comments civil, and avoid irrelevant advertising.

Posts on specific topics:
Politics--Bible--College--Teaching