Monday, April 21, 2008

Who's got gas?

The struggle over gas prices is no new battle. For decades, and even a century now, oil has become a vital commodity that has driven societies. This leads to some very confusing and frustrating situations as the oil gets from deep in the earth into our vehicles. Most of us don't care too much about this process, until it affects how much we pay at the pump and in the store. But why are gas prices so high? Why does it seem like everything else is getting more expensive? Why doesn't the president do anything about it?

One day, a man walked into the video store I worked at, and I was making suggestions of movies for him to get. He stumbled across a Michael Moore film and said, "All I know is that since Bush has been in office, gas prices have gone up. That's all I know."

I thought, "Really? That's it? And this guy's vote counts as much as mine?" This is the problem I want to avoid.

So, for the next few days (or as long as it takes) I would like to take you through all the variables of the gas price struggle. We'll look at how bad it really is, why it is that bad, and what in the world we can do about it. So as not to bore you in one sitting, the next installment is still to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep all comments civil, and avoid irrelevant advertising.

Posts on specific topics:
Politics--Bible--College--Teaching