Friday, March 26, 2010

The Last Christian Generation: Book Review

Josh McDowell turned off my attention at the beginning by making the dramatic claim that if something doesn't change, we may be facing the last truly Christian generation in America. (He posits this title in contrast to The Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw). He sees the global shift away from America as a depressing thought, though I believe it is equally hopeful.

However, I'm glad I gave it a chance to the end, as he actually proposed a solution based on the rabbinical method. Christian education should not merely be knowledge of doctrinal statements. Rather it should be a process of spiritual development. He argued that Christian training should not consider itself successful unless it results in a changed student.

This has challenged me as a Christian teacher to make sure my curriculum involves a lot of students reflecting on their own development. Only if they are committed to spiritual change will it actually happen.

Another thing I gained from this book was that I need to read unChristian by David Kinnaman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep all comments civil, and avoid irrelevant advertising.

Posts on specific topics:
Politics--Bible--College--Teaching